St. John's Church History
HISTORY OF CHURCH
But thanks be to God, who always leads us. II Corinthians 2:14
This congregation was formerly Zion Evangelical Church. The Evangelical Church was first built in 1876 on Spring Creek. In 1885, this congregation moved to Alvira where they remained until 1942, when they were forced to move by the Federal Government who took over the land for an Ordnance Depot. Members were held together under the leadership of Rev. Samuel Snyder. Meetings were held in the homes and in White Hall Grange. In 1944, this group moved into Zion Lutheran (Frame) Church, which had been closed in 1937. In November, 1954, this church was purchased from Central Pennsylvania Synod under the leadership of Rev. Mark Herman.
Under mergers, this congregation became St. John's Evangelical United Brethren and later St. John's United Methodist Church.
In July 1977, the St. John's United Methodist Church left the White Deer Charge, and along with the Elimsport United Methodist Church formed the Elimsport Valley Parish.